Alternative Broadcast Inspection Program (ABIP)
Assisting Indiana television and radio stations stay compliant is at the heart of the mission of the Indiana Broadcasters Association (IBA). No station wants to face tens of thousands of dollars in fines from the FCC, especially when they are preventable.
Like with a house, car, or your health, having insurance is imperative. It provides a safety net in case of an emergency. The same is true in broadcasting.
That is why the IBA offers the Alternative Broadcast Inspection Program (ABIP) to help stations avoid violations. It’s like insurance for stations and successful completion provides evidence of a station having a positive attitude toward regulatory compliance and reduces the likelihood of an FCC fine.
In fact, upon receiving an ABIP Certificate of Completion, the FCC can’t inspect a station unless a specific complaint is filed.
During inspections, the following is analyzed:
- Actual Station Operation vs. Licensed Parameters
- Chief Operator and Control Point Compliance
- Tower & Antenna Marking and Lighting Compliance
- EAS Operation, Monitoring and Logging Compliance
- Tower Registration and FAA Reporting Procedures
- STL, RPu, TSL, Eng, Earth Station Licenses Review
- Operator Instructions and Adjustment Procedures
- Spectrum Compliance and Engineering Data Review
- EEO Program FCC Filings and Public Notice Review
- Analysis and Maintenance of the Public File
- Station Logs and Tower Light Monitoring/Logging
- RF Exposure Postings and Security Verification
If, during the inspection, our inspectors find a violation, then stations are not penalized as long as they make the necessary corrections within a reasonable period of time.
Stations interested in getting on the calendar for ABIP can contact the Indiana Broadcasters Association at firstname.lastname@example.org and fill out the following two forms.
Alternative Broadcast Inspection Program Remittance Form
IF EXTENSIVE VIOLATIONS MANDATE A RE-INSPECTION BEFORE IBA-ABIP CERTIFICATION CAN BE GRANTED – NOTE: RE-INSPECTION Cost: $150.00/hour PLUS: Travel rates at current IRS mileage rate.