WANE-TV, the CBS Affiliate in Fort Wayne, IN is seeking an experienced Producer who is a non-traditional thinker. The ideal candidate has excellent writing skills and news judgment. We need someone energetic and creative – if you like to think big picture, look past the obvious and break stories, this could be a great move for you. Qualified applicant should be able to handle breaking news situations and must have the ability to work well under pressure. A strong understanding of integration of social media into newscasts a must.
The News Producer produces daily newscast items, decides the order in which stories will be told, writes teases and other content, times news programs, edits video, and posts video to the website. This position requires working on weekends and holidays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produces newscasts for broadcast across all platforms
• Writes, edits and orders news stories
• Approves scripts
• Balances news and feature content to create compelling broadcasts
• Edits video
• Writes stories for the website and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites
• Communicates with managers and teams in the field daily
• Pitch story ideas
• Shoot interviews or/and set them up
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Excellent verbal, written, grammar and analytical skills
• Must be able to interact well with video journalists, anchors, videographers, news managers, production and engineering staff
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment
• Must be detail oriented
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Has a sense of urgency
• Strong news judgment, journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations
• Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Producer must be able to stand, sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work near others. The News Producer must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education, work related experience, or recent college graduate with quality news internships.
• Minimum one year experience in news operations (More or less depending on market size)
WANE offers a competitive compensation and benefits plan for medical, dental and vision coverage
How to Apply
ALL applicants must apply on-line at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar. Please upload resume and references.
Requires background screening to hire.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.